[oi-dev] [illumos-Developer] GSOC2011

Joerg Schilling Joerg.Schilling at fokus.fraunhofer.de
Thu Mar 24 13:15:50 UTC 2011

Eric Schrock <eric.schrock at delphix.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Mar 24, 2011 at 8:39 AM, Joerg Schilling <
> Joerg.Schilling at fokus.fraunhofer.de> wrote:
> >

> > Sun on the other side did introduce BrandZ instead of LKP in order to avoid
> > rnning Linux binariers to become too simple - Sun was in fear that this
> > could
> > harm the stand of Solaris.
> >

> As a member of the original BrandZ team, I can say for a fact that this is
> false.  Prior to BrandZ, there was an internal implementation of the
>
> It was all about maintainability and supportability, and had nothing to do
> with making it "less simple" or protecting "the stand of Solaris".

If you have been a member of the team, you should have seen LKP on SCO UNIX.
LKP is different from lxrun as it does not simply catch syscalls via signals
but creates a Linux infrastructure under /linux. Linux programs run chroot()ed
in /linux and can see the UNIX infrastructure under /unix.

For this reason, it is easy to have the "right" things in /proc and /etc.

BTW: my information is from people who have been in the team or have been very
close to the team.

Jörg