[oi-dev] [illumos-Developer] GSOC2011

ken mays maybird1776 at yahoo.com
Thu Mar 24 14:40:26 UTC 2011

--- On Thu, 3/24/11, Joerg Schilling <Joerg.Schilling at fokus.fraunhofer.de> wrote:

> From: Joerg Schilling <Joerg.Schilling at fokus.fraunhofer.de>
> Subject: Re: [oi-dev] [illumos-Developer]  GSOC2011
> To: eric.schrock at delphix.com
> Cc: oi-dev at openindiana.org, developer at lists.illumos.org
> Date: Thursday, March 24, 2011, 9:15 AM
> Eric Schrock <eric.schrock at delphix.com>
> wrote:
>
> > On Thu, Mar 24, 2011 at 8:39 AM, Joerg Schilling <
> > Joerg.Schilling at fokus.fraunhofer.de>
> wrote:
> > >

> > > Sun on the other side did introduce BrandZ
> instead of LKP in order to avoid
> > > rnning Linux binariers to become too simple - Sun
> was in fear that this
> > > could
> > > harm the stand of Solaris.
> > >

> > As a member of the original BrandZ team, I can say for
> a fact that this is
> > false.  Prior to BrandZ, there was an internal
> implementation of the
> >
> > It was all about maintainability and supportability,
> and had nothing to do
> > with making it "less simple" or protecting "the stand
> of Solaris".
>
> If you have been a member of the team, you should have seen
> LKP on SCO UNIX.
> LKP is different from lxrun as it does not simply catch
> syscalls via signals
> but creates a Linux infrastructure under /linux. Linux
> programs run chroot()ed
> in /linux and can see the UNIX infrastructure under /unix.
>
> For this reason, it is easy to have the "right" things in
> /proc and /etc.
>
> BTW: my information is from people who have been in the
> team or have been very
> close to the team.
>
> Jörg

Hi Jorg,

That sounds about right as I was one of those people using and testing out Linux native binaries on Solaris/OpenSolaris for many years in production environments. Most of us got pretty far as having CentOS/Redhat 5.x binaries running natively.

Kinda 'old-school' now, but I think there is still a need for it.

~ Ken Mays