[oi-dev] pkg5 Linked Images

Alasdair Lumsden alasdairrr at gmail.com
Mon May 30 17:37:20 UTC 2011

Hi All,

Now that 151 is almost out the door, we need to start looking beyond this to the next release. I'd like to kick this off looking at pkg5, since Userland would benefit from a newer pkg version.

The pkg team integrated "Linked Images" in build 165:

http://mail.opensolaris.org/pipermail/pkg-discuss/2011-May/026479.html

I haven't yet had a chance to read the pkg5 linked images design document, but from what I understand it's a larger change that may give us a headache without access to the Oracle onnv-gate.

Has anyone had a chance to read over the design doc? It's over at (this is from 2010 so it might be out of date):

http://mail.opensolaris.org/pipermail/pkg-discuss/2010-March/021573.html

If anyone has read it, is this something that we should avoid for now, and go with an earlier build, such as 164? Does anyone know of any commits to pkg5 that might bite us between build 151 and 164?

We can also look at getting pkg5 building within the Userland framework itself, but I'll cover this off in a separate mail/thread to keep this one specifically about linked images and the pkg5 version we pick for the next dev build.

Cheers,

Alasdair