[oi-dev] Fwd: [OpenIndiana-discuss] Documentation-Project

Guido Berhoerster gber at openindiana.org
Mon May 30 08:59:42 UTC 2011

Hello,

* Tobias Famulla <uni at famulla.eu> [2011-05-30 00:22]:
> As I mentioned on the Discussion-List(see below), I had the idea of
> transforming the OpenSolaris-documentation to another system and change
> some parts to the OpenIndiana specific behaviors.

I think something comparable to the OpenSolaris Getting Started
Guide (see
http://dlc.sun.com/osol/docs/content/2009.06/getstart/docinfo.html)
and the numerous Administrator, End User and Developer Howtos in
the Wiki (see
http://wikis.sun.com/display/OpenSolarisInfo200906/User+Information,
http://wikis.sun.com/display/OpenSolarisInfo200906/System+Administration+Information,
and
http://wikis.sun.com/display/OpenSolarisInfo200906/Developer+Information)
is really missing and would be highly useful to the project.

The problem is that the above documentation does not seem to be
available under a license which allows modification and
redistribution, so you would have to produce new and genuine
documentation.

There are is already a stub for a FreeBSD-like handbook in our
wiki under
http://wiki.openindiana.org/oi/OpenIndiana+Handbook with some
documentation fragments. That effort has not gotten very far
yet but it might be a starting point. So far we have had people
contributing to the wiki but not really a coordinated team
working on improving documentation in a systematic manner.  It's
just about manpower and someone picking it up, the project can
provide infrastructure (e.g. a mailinglist for coordination) as
needed, if you would like to contribute in this area I'm sure it
will be highly appreciated.

> Deano wrote on the Discussion-list, that it might be more helpful, to
> discuss the pros and cons of different systems and especially asking for
> people who also write the discussion and maintain it afterwards.
> I think I am not able to maintain such documentation, because I am very
> new to the OpenIndiana and Solaris operating system and such
> developement process as a whole.

Since I'm not familiar with the different documentation system
I'll leave that for others to comment on.
--
Guido Berhoerster