[oi-dev] Change Request: Lowering dump and swap defaults AKA My dump is too big!

Richard Lowe richlowe at richlowe.net
Sun May 22 22:46:55 UTC 2011

On Sun, May 22, 2011 at 18:02, Deano <deano at rattie.demon.co.uk> wrote:
> First question, why huge space for dump files anyway? How many people use
> that facility?

Anyone who wants any bugs they encounter fixed.

> Second do we really use half memory for swap with large memory configs?

It's a rough guess based on the likely compressability of the crash
dump, and the likely size of the kernel image.

dumpadm(1) has its own logic as to the minimum size of dump device it
will even attempt to configure.  I don't know how or if it and install
agree.  It would perhaps be reasonable to have install configure the
minimum size acceptable to dumpadm.

-- Rich