[oi-dev] Change Request: Lowering dump and swap defaults AKA My dump is too big!

Alasdair Lumsden alasdairrr at gmail.com
Sun May 22 22:50:38 UTC 2011

On 22 May 2011, at 23:46, Richard Lowe wrote:

> Anyone who wants any bugs they encounter fixed.

There is that - if theres disk space available for a dump device, its sensible to configure one.

I do despise that its almost impossible to remove the dump device without hackery, since dumpadm won't let you have no dump device configured. Some people don't want a dump device, and we should respect that.

>> Second do we really use half memory for swap with large memory configs?
>>

> It's a rough guess based on the likely compressability of the crash
> dump, and the likely size of the kernel image.
>
> dumpadm(1) has its own logic as to the minimum size of dump device it
> will even attempt to configure.  I don't know how or if it and install
> agree.  It would perhaps be reasonable to have install configure the
> minimum size acceptable to dumpadm.

Very interesting, definitely worth us looking into the values dumpadm uses.

Cheers,

Alasdair