[oi-dev] Change Request: Lowering dump and swap defaults AKA My dump is too big!

Deano deano at rattie.demon.co.uk
Mon May 23 07:38:35 UTC 2011

Richard Lowe wrote
>> First question, why huge space for dump files anyway? How many people use
>> that facility?

>Anyone who wants any bugs they encounter fixed.

This may be true of developers or people with a severe crash issue, however
without automated collection, for most people it's just a unused space that
never gets used.
For example how would the average user even access there dump of a crash?
And do we expect people to send 16GiB dumps to OI developers?

Your idea of using the swap area sounds like a good compromise, no extra
space used and the data still can be collected in the cases where it is
useful.

Deano