[oi-dev] Change Request: Lowering dump and swap defaults AKA My dump is too big!

Richard Lowe richlowe at richlowe.net
Sun May 22 22:59:57 UTC 2011

On Sun, May 22, 2011 at 18:50, Alasdair Lumsden <alasdairrr at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 22 May 2011, at 23:46, Richard Lowe wrote:
>
>> Anyone who wants any bugs they encounter fixed.
>
> There is that - if theres disk space available for a dump device, its sensible to configure one.

On UFS root filesystems we used to configure the dump device to be the
swap device, we only switched because ZFS let you sensibly separate
this (this is also why we're able to not run savecore by default.
There's nothing that will overwrite the dump on the actual device).

You should be able to:

1) Configure the system to dump to the swap device, as it used to
2) Configure savecore to run by default again (so that dumps don't get
swapped over).

And save the space of the extra dump device.

Someone should have to investigate whether there are problems with
swapping and dumping to the same zvol, as opposed to physical device.

-- Rich