[oi-dev] Fuse and NTFS-3g

Bayard G. Bell buffer.g.overflow at gmail.com
Sun Nov 6 04:15:03 UTC 2011

On Fri, 2011-11-04 at 18:41 +0000, Bayard G. Bell wrote:
> On Thu, 2011-11-03 at 09:58 +0100, Damian Wojsław wrote:
> > Hi
> >
> > I would like to work on inclusion of fuse and ntfs-3g into main
> > openindiana package repo and also maintain packages if they get
> > included. Is OI interested?
>
> Two points: this project is now hosted at opensolaris.org, so please
> consider forking it somewhere like bitbucket (it requires both Studio
> Express and gcc, so I'm not sure if we'll need a fork for that
> reason--however way you cut it, nothing on opensolaris.org is getting
> care and feeding in the open, so I don't see why you wouldn't re-host it
> at this point). I also take Gordon's point about the stability of
> something like a semi-orphaned kernel module for which we don't have
> upstream issue tracking (forking gets this out in the open). Whether we
> flag this by repo or other metadata (and there are other cases where we
> ought to consider this, such as transitioning off of legacy libraries),
> we should have some way of marking caveat emptor.

Hm, looking at the GSoC project ideas page, I noticed that gwr has
previously forked fuse for illumos (see bottom of
https://www.illumos.org/projects/illumos-gate/wiki/Project_Ideas). Could
we please start from this base? I think fuse support is something that
should be coordinated with the illumos upstream, including giving
SFE-maintained patches a long-term home.