[oi-dev] oi-build feature #1252 - GCC 4.6.2

Richard Lowe richlowe at richlowe.net
Sat Nov 12 22:06:50 UTC 2011

On Sat, Nov 12, 2011 at 12:11, Igor Kozhukhov <ikozhukhov at gmail.com> wrote:
> I think that link to /usr/bin/gcc - it as mistake, because you will broke
> illumos-gate build.

The illumos build uses /usr/sfw/bin/gcc,  If the build finds or tries
to use /usr/bin/gcc, something is wrong with illumos.

> We have to save illumos-gate build based on current userland.

That's why /usr/sfw/bin/gcc must be left alone /usr/bin/gcc should be
fine.  Of course, it's probably a good idea for someone to test that.

The patched GCC4 is not important until the changes to illumos
integrate.  The intent behind the way we were structuring the GCC
paths going forward was that the need for a special GCC for illumos
does not impact any other use of GCC in the system.  That is,
/usr/gcc/X.Y.Z was to be used by people who _specifically_ required a
version of GCC, such as illumos, whereas /usr/bin/gcc could be a
convenient, user-appropriate, version.

-- Rich