[oi-dev] 1589 package up xcowsay

Alasdair Lumsden alasdairrr at gmail.com
Tue Oct 4 23:01:35 UTC 2011

On 3 Oct 2011, at 21:01, Josef 'Jeff' Sipek wrote:

> On Mon, Oct 03, 2011 at 06:35:36PM +0100, Bayard G. Bell wrote:
>> On Sat, 2011-10-01 at 20:29 -0400, Josef 'Jeff' Sipek wrote:
>>> Any issues with merging this?
>>>
>>> http://hg.31bits.net/oi/oi-build-xcowsay/rev/e11ec815dd5b
>>>
>>> (https://www.illumos.org/issues/1589)
>>
>> 1) I'm not familiar with this package, but why are things like CFLAGS
>> being set in source patches to Makefile.am and Makefile.in rather than
>> as options passed to configure, which would be more self-documenting?
>
> The package did that for whatever reason.  The patch that's part of my
> commit takes those out.

The patches look fine to me.

>> 2) again going to the self-documenting question, why is the upstream URL
>> provided directly in the manifest but not at all in the Makefile?
>
> Just a bad habit on my part.  I'll fix this.

The upstream URL being present only in the .p5m file is the userland-gate normal, so Jeff was just following conventions here. I have no objection to it unless we wish to make a strategic decision to swap to storing it in the Makefile. But we should make that decision separately.

You get a +1 from me as-is, cowsay is a piece of Unix history and quite fun. :-)

Cheers,

Alasdair