[oi-dev] New BE every package update?

Andrew Gabriel illumos at cucumber.demon.co.uk
Sun Apr 15 20:27:43 UTC 2012

Milan Jurik wrote:
> Hi,
>
> is it expected with the latest prestable that new backup BE is created
> even if minor binary is updated?

Milan,

That's how it works in Solaris 11, certainly.

If the update will be straight into the running system, then the new BE
is a snapshot before the update is applied.

If the update will be into a new boot environment (requiring a reboot to
activate), then the backup is the current boot environment which is
unchanged by the update.

Either way, you get a 'before' and an 'after' BE.

> I was expecting "BE snapshots" through ZFS snapshots as it was. Not new BE.

How would you boot back to a ZFS snapshot if your update trashed the
current BE?
That's exactly what a BE is for (and it's little more than a ZFS
snapshot anyway).

--
Andrew