[oi-dev] New BE every package update?

Milan Jurik milan.jurik at xylab.cz
Sun Apr 15 20:50:06 UTC 2012

Hi Andrew,

Andrew Gabriel píše v ne 15. 04. 2012 v 21:27 +0100:
> Milan Jurik wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > is it expected with the latest prestable that new backup BE is created
> > even if minor binary is updated?
> >

> Milan,
>
> That's how it works in Solaris 11, certainly.
>
> If the update will be straight into the running system, then the new BE
> is a snapshot before the update is applied.
>
> If the update will be into a new boot environment (requiring a reboot to
> activate), then the backup is the current boot environment which is
> unchanged by the update.
>
> Either way, you get a 'before' and an 'after' BE.
>
> > I was expecting "BE snapshots" through ZFS snapshots as it was. Not new BE.
>

> How would you boot back to a ZFS snapshot if your update trashed the
> current BE?
> That's exactly what a BE is for (and it's little more than a ZFS
> snapshot anyway).

I remembered there were ZFS snapshosts taken earlier, so it was (at
least theoretically) possible to revert to some ZFS snapshot manually
and I lived with last builds of Solaris only shortly so I missed this
change. Previously only "core bits" were installed to new BE, no backup
BE were created.

The reality is that I am flooded with several new BEs per day. My grub
list is increasing frequently. OK, I have to live with it :-)

Best regards,

Milan