[oi-dev] Resignation as OI Lead

PÁSZTOR György pasztor at linux.gyakg.u-szeged.hu
Wed Aug 29 10:50:56 UTC 2012

Hello Alasdair,

"Alasdair Lumsden" <alasdairrr at gmail.com> írta 2012-08-29 02:18-kor:
> It is with much sadness that I hereby resign as project lead. I may, if
> the situation improves under a new project lead, stick around to offer
> my opinion or occasional assistance, but my resignation is final; I have
> no wish to return to the project in a leadership capacity.

I'm sad about your decesion, but I hope, you think it again or at least
show us direction and sy continues your work as great as you did.

> But it is also in part due to frustrations with the difficulty of making
> any progress on the project. OpenSolaris was maintained by a large

I always say to my collegues that: Don't fix sg. which already works!

> I lay the blame of this squarely on the lack of a successful general
> purpose distribution of Solaris/Illumos. OpenIndiana was my attempt at
> competing with the Linux distros, but our lack of progress has torpedoed
> it. Nobody in their right mind would use OI - it ships severely out of
> date insecure software, lacks some of the most common 3rd party apps
> such as LibreOffice, and so much simple shit that should just work, such

I think you see a glass half empty. But that glass is almost full, from
another point of view: Every Server thing I ever tried on OI is works, and
do it's work more stable than the competing linux varinats.
Eg. Storage platform: And I'm not talking about ZFS and the advantages of
it, but if you want to implement a storage server on Linux You will suck.
Suck with the incompatible implementations of iSCSI targets. (And at least
all of them is a piece of shit...)
That you cannot resize a lun on the fly. All off them sucks by design.
On OI you just install comstar, and it just works. I think there is a
difference on quality beetween the two approach: Design first than
implement (like in OI) and do sg. which seems sign of work, then hack
it...
Let's see OS level virtualization: On linux there is vserver, openvz, lxc,
and who knows what else, with different feature sets. Except LXC all off
them is a separate patch. With huge warnings of it's lack of official / out
of box support even in distros like Debian...
On OI there are zones. Well designed, and simply just works. Again.
I could continue, but I hope You see my point.

> With the ZFSOnLinux port becoming increasingly popular (so many of the
> Linux users I know are using it), and
> brtfs/dtrace-on-linux/upstart/whatever else slowly brewing away, even
> some of the core features of Illumos are becoming less and less

Maybe it's popular. I use (and administer) linux since '96...
It's many time. But now, I would never even try a linux (or bsd) zfs
implementation, without comstar and the related things I get from OI
which is more robust in any beta/alfa/any version of OI, than in a
mega-hiper-stable-patched-r<many> release of any linux.

> - what matters is perception and the typical Linux user is happy with
> "good enough". When I encourage my Linux-using friends to try OI they
> laugh in my face. OI and Illumos to them is a dead platform. Add to that
> our increasingly out of date and poor hardware support due to the march
> of never ending new LAN/SATA/SAS/motherboard/GPU chipsets and you start
> to get the picture.

With time and wisdom any linux user bore in the hacks, workarounds and
other time wasting things, and wants a system which just works.
I don't remember where I see the logo, if it was a late (realy open)
OpenSoleris or it was on the OpenIndiana boot screen but that phrase is
very true: Love at first boot!

> Finally, I wish Illumos every success. Ultimately Illumos is what
> matters, OI was only ever going to be a vessel for delivering it's power
> to end users. May it go from strength to strength and get the
> recognition, attention and user-base it so rightly deserves.

+1

With many thanks for your work,
György Pásztor, end user/sysadmin.