[oi-dev] Remnants... (was:Re: Resignation as OI Lead)

Cedric Blancher cedric.blancher at googlemail.com
Wed Aug 29 13:39:46 UTC 2012

On 29 August 2012 15:30, Sašo Kiselkov <skiselkov.ml at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 08/29/2012 02:42 PM, Cedric Blancher wrote:
>> This is bitter, but I can understand you. Illumos has been nothing
>> than a job generator for ex-Sun employees, and even that space has
>> become smaller and smaller and those depend on it will fight for the
>> little room available.
>>
>> Air is getting thinner, not only for OI but also Illumos itself... but
>> that is a self-made issue: There has been too much focus on ZFS and
>> it's "benefits", while ZFS has become better on Solaris 11, and for
>> those who love open source with ZFS there is FreeBSD, where ZFS runs
>> smoother and with less memory consumption than on Illumos. It also
>> *feels* that innovation has stopped in Ilumos.
>>
>> Each time I read Illumos these days I think about a word: Remnants -
>> the leftover which was once a thriving empire.
>
> As much as I am sad to see the chief of OpenIndiana leave (I'm an
> exclusive OpenIndiana user myself), I would like to contest your claim
> that ZFS innovation has stopped in Illumos. Just because your favorite
> features haven't been implemented doesn't mean that it's not there:

I was talking about any other innovation than ZFS (and in an extended
circle dtrace, too). There has been almost zero innovation on the
other parts (and I shudder at the progress of even simple things like
grep -r, it's talked to death, literally. BSD did the same change
years ago in a few hours from RFE to commit).

Ced
--
Cedric Blancher <cedric.blancher at googlemail.com>
Institute Pasteur