[oi-dev] Remnants... (was:Re: Resignation as OI Lead)

Sašo Kiselkov skiselkov.ml at gmail.com
Wed Aug 29 15:04:14 UTC 2012

On 08/29/2012 03:39 PM, Cedric Blancher wrote:
> On 29 August 2012 15:30, Sašo Kiselkov <skiselkov.ml at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On 08/29/2012 02:42 PM, Cedric Blancher wrote:
>>> This is bitter, but I can understand you. Illumos has been nothing
>>> than a job generator for ex-Sun employees, and even that space has
>>> become smaller and smaller and those depend on it will fight for the
>>> little room available.
>>>
>>> Air is getting thinner, not only for OI but also Illumos itself... but
>>> that is a self-made issue: There has been too much focus on ZFS and
>>> it's "benefits", while ZFS has become better on Solaris 11, and for
>>> those who love open source with ZFS there is FreeBSD, where ZFS runs
>>> smoother and with less memory consumption than on Illumos. It also
>>> *feels* that innovation has stopped in Ilumos.
>>>
>>> Each time I read Illumos these days I think about a word: Remnants -
>>> the leftover which was once a thriving empire.
>>
>> As much as I am sad to see the chief of OpenIndiana leave (I'm an
>> exclusive OpenIndiana user myself), I would like to contest your claim
>> that ZFS innovation has stopped in Illumos. Just because your favorite
>> features haven't been implemented doesn't mean that it's not there:
>
> I was talking about any other innovation than ZFS (and in an extended
> circle dtrace, too). There has been almost zero innovation on the
> other parts (and I shudder at the progress of even simple things like
> grep -r, it's talked to death, literally. BSD did the same change
> years ago in a few hours from RFE to commit).

I think the DTrace people have made some progress as well, haven't they?
Looking at dtrace.conf 2012, they seem to be moving forward. One also
needs to remember that DTrace is sort of a programming environment,
which tend to be rather conservative in the speed at which they add
features, otherwise they just get bloated. If it ain't broken, don't fix
it, if you ask me.

The grep -r thing is annoying, yes, I'm with you on that. I frequently
find myself switching between grep and ggrep depending on the options I
need to use. It would be nice if we could get rid of these antiquities.

Cheers,
--
Saso