[oi-dev] Resignation as OI Lead

Alan Coopersmith alan.coopersmith at oracle.com
Thu Aug 30 18:19:52 UTC 2012

On 08/30/12 11:12 AM, ken mays wrote:
> OpenIndiana still provides a niche market for those wanting a stable development
> desktop OS distro based on the OpenSolaris kernel and having a reliable and
> stable closed source 2D/3D graphics driver.

Just remember that you can only count on closed source graphics drivers as long
as your kernel remains 100% compatible with current and *future* versions of
Solaris, and those drivers don't develop dependencies on new features added to
closed kernels that aren't available in the illumos kernel.   (I have no idea
if or when that will become a problem, I just know it's a possibility that may
someday make the latest closed drivers no longer an option.)

Of course, the alternative is to grow your market share to a large enough base
that paying customers ask the graphics vendors to specifically support your
platform and ensure they don't break on your kernel.

	-Alan Coopersmith-              alan.coopersmith at oracle.com