[oi-dev] Resignation as OI Lead

ken mays maybird1776 at yahoo.com
Thu Aug 30 18:12:24 UTC 2012

It was written:

"It was the best of times, it was the worst of times, it was the age of
wisdom, it was the age of foolishness, it was the epoch of belief, it
was the epoch of incredulity, it was the season of Light, it was the
season of Darkness, it was the spring of hope, it was the winter of
despair, we had everything before us, we had nothing before us, we were
all going direct to heaven, we were all going direct the other way - in
short, the period was so far like the present period, that some of its
noisiest authorities insisted on its being received, for good or for
evil, in the superlative degree of comparison only." - Charles Dickens

OpenIndiana still provides a niche market for those wanting a stable development desktop OS distro based on the OpenSolaris kernel and having a reliable and stable closed source 2D/3D graphics driver.

Now as to the comments made, they have their place. But on the more positive note, realize the good the project inspired to many users as mentioned in the comments from this article:

"There was a time in history when people said the same thing about linux.. about bsd.. about macosx.
There are 1000′s of opensource projects in the world. All of them
interesting for one reason or another. This group has passion and
tenacity, both necessary for a good group project." - http://www.linuxbsdos.com/2011/10/15/openindiana-151a-desktop-review/

As for other comments, I always saw sysadmins focused on using the project for server apps moreso than the desktop. So a few of us spent hours updating the server apps specs in SFE, while also keeping the spirit of desktop app usage alive.

But, there are the goals of the many as well as the goals of the few. As time marched on, the server and embedded device market dominated as the smartphones and tablets replaced many basic desktop user app needs. As for most businesses, it is about profitability margins by addressing market trends and needs. Sometimes, we cannot blame those businesses trying to protect their own bottom line in the sake of us covering our own. When businesses build their niche products and marketing around core strategies like cloud computing, embedded storage, streaming media, render farms, or virtualized web appliances - we needed to see how a distro project like OpenIndiana could help in the administration and development of those projects if even if from only a desktop or server experience.

But in the light of it all and at the end of the day, OpenIndiana prevailed. We can our port of FlightGear 2.8.0 and appreciate the stability of openIndiana on entire test flights. We can use OI with Wine and load the majority of Windows business apps like MS Office or Photoshop needed for a project. Maybe in the sights of others - the glass is half empty. But in our eyes, the glass is only half full...

Thanks for your dedication and leadership the glass can still be filled,

~ Ken Mays