[oi-dev] Resignation as OI Lead

Damian Wojslaw damian at wojslaw.pl
Fri Aug 31 07:59:10 UTC 2012

Am 2012-08-30 22:18, schrieb garrett.damore at dey-sys.com:

> Again, you misunderstood what I was talking about.   I wasn't talking about open vs. closed at all.
>
> So let me clarify:
>
> What is *broken* was the model of slavishly trying to follow OpenSolaris, or to be an "open & free" alternative to Solaris 11, servicing servers, desktops, laptops, and both SPARC and x86.  That was the model that OI started with -- to simply package up the bits that Oracle was providing, try to match it to an illumos kernel, and package the whole thing up.
>
> What's broken about this is two fold.

[cut]

> These are all leaders, innovating in some way or another.  Can anybody point to an area where OI has contributed any significant innovation to the ecosystem?  I can't.  OI is a follower.  It filled (and perhaps still fills) an important role for the community, but lets not pretend that OI is the seat of excellence or innovation.  Other distros fill that role.

Garrett.

While I can agree that it is a huge effort to keep a desktop
distribution and probably most people interested in keeping it alive are
not ones investing in it technically or financially, I have to disagree
on one point: OpenIndiana has long ago stated they no longer want to
follow Oracle lead and that they want to maintain their own vision of
distribution. And while the vision of desktop may not be clear or
clearly expressed, I believe it was there.
Now, as for those hordes of poeple that wanted desktop but did nothing
for it, I agree with you, that your opinion is yours. While I understand
your issues with illumos on desktop, *I* greatly appreciate what
OpenIndiana gives me, as a user. I don't miss all those things you do.
And you see, there are lots of people who don't. So it is good to hear
what you lack, but I and few of my friends would appreciate it if you
spoke in less authoritative manner next time, please.
Yes, I am one of those users that take and give not very much, but large
numbers of me is a sad reality of any other distribution.

Anyway, those were my opinions also.

Have a coffee.

Damian Wojsław