[oi-dev] error in pkg5 - from oi-prestable

Alasdair Lumsden alasdairrr at gmail.com
Sat Feb 11 14:19:23 UTC 2012

On 11 Feb 2012, at 14:11, Gordon Ross wrote:

> There's also the difference that "pkg" is real source code, (right?)
> where most other things in userland are just build recipes.
>
> If I correctly understood the suggestion for a separate "tools" gate,
> then I think that sounds helpful.

Well! There are options here. pkg could be treated just like every other bit of software inside illumos-userland, like gcc or openssl.

The build recipe could check it out, do the build, publish it. Indeed, we already have a rather dirty version of this in s10-userland:

http://hg.openindiana.org/users/aszeszo/s10-userland/file/86bc2641a3a0/components/pkg5

I quite liked the idea of having a single repo to check out to be able to build the whole OS - makes it much easier for people to get involved with OS development. But pkg is more specific to OpenIndiana than it is to Illumian, so perhaps OI and Illumian need separate repos for where we deviate?

Back when this was oi-build, my plan was for it to be able to build everything - illumos-gate, pkg-gate, etc, all treated as components.

Food for thought...