[oi-dev] error in pkg5 - from oi-prestable

Magnus magnus at yonderway.com
Sat Feb 11 15:35:15 UTC 2012

On Feb 11, 2012, at 9:19 AM, Alasdair Lumsden wrote:

> I quite liked the idea of having a single repo to check out to be able to build the whole OS - makes it much easier for people to get involved with OS development. But pkg is more specific to OpenIndiana than it is to Illumian, so perhaps OI and Illumian need separate repos for where we deviate?

I've been playing some with SmartOS and there are some developments over there that could make it trivial for people to come in with a "correct" dev zone. Between vmadm and dsadm (http://wiki.smartos.org/display/DOC/Getting+Started+with+SmartOS#GettingStartedwithSmartOS-CreatingZones), if we had something like that, it ought to be pretty easy to give someone a short shell command to run to fetch a specific published oi-dev zone template (which is versioned), and provision a branded zone from that template. Moreover, it would be brilliant to run "dsadm avail" on a SmartOS box and see some OI branded zones available (and Illumian… and Nexenta… etc). That sort of cross-pollination could help the whole Illumos ecosystem.

-M