[oi-dev] Lets talk about Git

Bayard Bell buffer.g.overflow at gmail.com
Sun Feb 12 17:11:50 UTC 2012

Andy,

I'd think we could use the same tools that illumos uses to mirror from
their authoritative repo to BitBucket and GitHub. I'd expect there are two
non-exclusive ways to approach mirroring: you can add hooks to the
canonical repo that cause it to push to the DVCS hubs as part of the
commit, or you can have a looser consistency sync with cron, which could
catch you up if a sync on canonical commit fails.

I think most of the case for git is a case for co-existence. People
potentially interested in OI but not previously involved in OpenSolaris are
more likely to know git than mercurial, so not having git available is a
potential limit for people who aren't sure the project is so cool they want
to bother with a first step that's a new tool. For existing developers,
there's not enough differentiation between the two that people necessarily
want to commit the time to learning how to use git properly because they
doubt it will ever save them a comparable amount. I think both sides are
right, which is why I favor allowing both.

The significant complication between how we approach DVCS and the way
illumos does it is that RTI limits the number of commiters. Ideally I'd
prefer to be able to take commits via DVCS pull requests and a bit of
workflow, which is something else we talked about at the meetup. I also
think this makes the commit process a bit less daunting. I've done some
research and feel I've got a decent grasp on what we'd need to do to make
this work, and you said you had some previous experience with the APIs that
you could contribute to getting it to work. How about we put our heads
together around the next meeting and sort this out?

Cheers,
Bayard