[oi-dev] Lets talk about Git

Bayard Bell buffer.g.overflow at gmail.com
Sun Feb 12 17:40:32 UTC 2012

On Sun, Feb 12, 2012 at 5:25 PM, Andrew Stormont <andyjstormont at gmail.com>wrote:

> I just want to say straightaway that I apologise.  My intention is not to
> start a flamewar or bike shedding but to merely show that there are
> benefits to  offering git as an alternative to mercurial.  I'm sure if the
> URL was 'whygitisagoodalternativetox.com' I wouldn't need to have to
> clarify this ;)

No need to apologize, my response was meant to be tongue-in-cheek, not
trying to escalate this, just to warn that it becomes a bikeshed if we have
to choose between the two, which is preferable to avoid. I'm pretty
comfortable that we have a reasonable grasp on how to put together a
technical solution to co-existence with complete parity. I'd pretty excited
about the prospect of working with you to make sure that happens.

I don't think we should keep hg around because it's the best in some
absolute sense, I think we should keep it around because it's adequate to
our needs and conversion requires cat-herding of existing developers that's
best avoided. We should maintain perspective: git has momentum and a very
large user base because plenty of people do agree that git is better than
the alternatives, and we need to respect that by letting people who like it
continue to use it.

Cheers,
Bayard