[oi-dev] [userland] Re: illumos-userland update

Bayard Bell buffer.g.overflow at gmail.com
Tue Feb 21 11:32:38 UTC 2012

Hi, Kartik,

On Mon, Feb 20, 2012 at 7:54 AM, Kartik Mistry <kartik.mistry at gmail.com>wrote:

> On Mon, Feb 20, 2012 at 4:36 AM, Bayard G. Bell
> <buffer.g.overflow at gmail.com> wrote:
> > We've started expanding on that. See for examples, the documents hanging
> > off:
> >
> > http://wiki.openindiana.org/oi/Building+with+illumos-userland
>
> .. and:
> https://www.illumos.org/projects/illumian/wiki/Building_illumos-userland
>
> We should merge these both.

Absolutely. Could we start by getting some packages documenting the
illumian packaging tools and process? I had a number of questions in my
review notes this weekend, and I've been working to get a reasonable amount
of documentation about the Makefile infrastructure, which I'd like to
follow up with write-ups for the vanilla userland-gae tools and
userland-specific packaging info.

richlowe's pointed out that the generic IPS documentation is very useful to
anyone who has to use IPS, so I reckon we should link that off the
packaging tools page. Is there something similar we could link about
generic debian packaging tools?

Cheers,
Bayard