[oi-dev] ntfs-3g and fuse

Jean-Pierre André jean-pierre.andre at wanadoo.fr
Tue Feb 28 11:11:55 UTC 2012

Hi Alasdair,

Alasdair Lumsden wrote:
> Hi Jean-Pierre,
>
> Would you have any interest in adding this to the illumos-userland build framework so that it ships with the distribution in future releases?

Well, the fuse kernel module is not userland, it is
a pluggable part of the kernel. Compiling it requires
the kernel headers instead of the usual libc....

Anyway, packaging is different from developing and
debugging. For the file system proper (which is "userland")
ntfs-3g provides a "tarball", with a standard building
procedure (configure, make, install) which the distributions
pack according to their own rules and tools.

For a kernel module, dedicated to a specific OS this is
meaningless. Is there a universal format which should
be used for interfacing the developers and the packagers
so that the developers can remain independent of the
distributors (and remain independent of the proprietary
tools from Oracle) ?

Regards

Jean-Pierre