[oi-dev] Building Userland on Solaris 10

Alasdair Lumsden alasdairrr at gmail.com
Wed Jan 4 14:51:57 UTC 2012

Hi John,

On 01/ 4/12 02:21 PM, John Center wrote:
> What would I need to do to build Userland on Sol10/SPARC?  I'm prepared
> to adapt whatever is needed to get this to work.

Hmm, that's going to be much harder! Effectively you have the
"bootstrap" issue we originally faced when doing this, where you don't
have sufficiently new versions of python, expat, libxml2, etc to get
pkg5 to build easily.

You will want to follow my rough guide here:

http://blogs.everycity.co.uk/alasdair/2011/01/building-ips-pkg5-on-solaris-10/

Once you have a working pkg5, you should be able to use the s10-userland
framework to build stuff, although you'll be missing gcc and lots of
other important stuff.

It's not going to be easy, and most of the build recipes in s10-userland
assume x86 so I have no idea how well they'll work with SPARC. But we'll
be happy to accept commits to make stuff work on SPARC and eventually a
pkg5 bootstrap tarball for SPARC.

If this all seems like too much work, you might want to consider OpenCSW?

Cheers,

Alasdair