[oi-dev] OI on SPARC???

Sašo Kiselkov skiselkov.ml at gmail.com
Tue Jun 19 19:22:14 UTC 2012

On 06/19/2012 08:03 PM, Randy DuCharme wrote:
> Agreed that SPARC is probably a 'dead' platform and tick for tick my 6 core
> AMD64 screams by comparison.  SPARC has always been very reliable though
> and I got mine very cheap.  Would like to see them running since they're
> all still very usable machines.

Nice to see you got good mileage out of your SPARC machines. I've had
all sorts of issues with our SPARC machines, though it probably was a
bad batch or something. On all of my T2000s the rear fan above the PSU
failed after about a year and a half, and one of the machines developed
a nasty habit of turning itself off for no apparent reason every now and
then (later we found it was a defective chassis switch, so we soldered
the thing to think it's closed permanently). OTOH the Netras have been
rock solid, never had a bad bleep from those. Sadly, their two
UltraSPARC IIIi processors are now barely able to compete with a modern
Android phone... </joke>

--
Saso