[oi-dev] issue #2172

Gordon Ross gordon.w.ross at gmail.com
Mon Mar 5 15:13:15 UTC 2012

Yes.  The Oracle patch set did a "shadow copy patch" (as you describe it)
by which I assume you mean the configuration strategy where they make
two copies of the source and build in each, etc.  That was done due to some
bugs in the Samba autoconf scripts, which I chose instead to fix and submit
for inclusion into Samba.  (They should be in Samba already, but were then
delayed by some copyright discussions.  Those are now resolved, so the
changes should be in samba once I update them to current samba revs.)

The change to the libraries was because I prefer linking with the normal
system default LDAP and GSSAPI support instead of the Netscape one.
Previous changes to the Samba config had switched from libldap to the
NSPR librarires due to a missing API function that Samba needs.  I fixed
our libldap in illumos to provide the missing function, so we can continue
to use the system libldap with Samba.

So in short, both of the above are just better ways to fix things than what
the Oracle userland port of samba does.

Gordon