[oi-dev] Fwd: Re: [developer] how to fix support for system_locale in sysidcfg for non global zone installation

Jim Klimov jimklimov at cos.ru
Sat May 26 18:24:10 UTC 2012

2012-05-26 21:05, Richard PALO wrote:
 >> sysidtool (where this lives) is not part of illumos-gate.
 >> Its a part of OpenIndiana. I'm having trouble locating
 >> the sources they used for this. I'm not entirely certain
 >> the source for it *is* open.
> Any ideas?

If nothing else remains (I do have no idea on this part),
you can rewrite the tool in the open? I believe a POC (at
least) would be trivial and supportable in perl, and I am
not sure a binary is required?

The sysidcfg file format is known for years, the actions to
be done based on its contents are somewhat distro-dependent
(I smell an OOP implementation would be suitable here).
Just make a hash array with default settings, override some
from the sysidcfg file, perhaps request those options which
were not set - interactively (or fail the configuration so
that admins remake sysidcfg file, if this is an SMF service
based autoconfigurator?), and you're good to go.

Most of the time things boiled down to ed'ing config files,
but now the settings can cause SMF properties to be changed
instead (as in DNS-client setup on Solaris 11, allegedly:
http://snltd.co.uk/snippets/index.php?c=v&sn=solaris_11_dns.php),
or dladm invoked (to config exclusive interfaces) and so on.

Nowadays, perhaps based on requested settings, sys-config
should also install some packages (i.e. ldap-client or
locales)?

HTH,
//Jim Klimov