[oi-dev] (Laptop) Keyboard locking up when in kmdb panic handler

Richard Lowe richlowe at richlowe.net
Sun Oct 7 00:35:13 UTC 2012

> Sorry for being unclear.  I was not suggesting you switch to a
> USB keyboard.  I was asking if you were using one already.

There are two reasons this tends to happen:

1) You have a USB keyboard, that we can't actually use from kmdb at all
2) You've crashed at a point where the state of the world is such that
we can't use the keyboard _right now_

If it's failing sporadically, I'd be assuming #2 though #1 is far from
impossible even then.

Are you crashing too early to get a crash dump?  It's nearly always
preferable to get a dump (if you can), than to debug the system
in-situ.

-- Rich