[oi-dev] (Laptop) Keyboard locking up when in kmdb panic handler

Jim Klimov jimklimov at cos.ru
Tue Oct 9 00:07:04 UTC 2012

2012-10-07 4:35, Richard Lowe пишет:
>> Sorry for being unclear.  I was not suggesting you switch to a
>> USB keyboard.  I was asking if you were using one already.
>
> There are two reasons this tends to happen:
>
> 1) You have a USB keyboard, that we can't actually use from kmdb at all
> 2) You've crashed at a point where the state of the world is such that
> we can't use the keyboard _right now_
>
> If it's failing sporadically, I'd be assuming #2 though #1 is far from
> impossible even then.
>
> Are you crashing too early to get a crash dump?  It's nearly always
> preferable to get a dump (if you can), than to debug the system
> in-situ.

Well, I am not sure how the laptop is wired - I can't exclude
that its kbd/touchpad are (or aren't) USB devices.

As for the "use-case" - I'm trying to switch the rpool between
SATA/LegacyIDE modes in BIOS, and track the boot progress via
kmdb (until the panic occurs due to inability to import rpool
from the expected device listed in the found ZFS label).
Much more often than not, I have to poweroff-poweron the laptop
instead of soft-rebooting it by continuing.

I had this also happen when importing the physical partition
as a VirtualBox machine from another OS (this laptop has a
choice among quad-boot now), and attaching the resulting disk
to a virtual SATA HBA - this also panicked, virtual kbd also
failed to type ":c", but rebooting a VM is much more swift ;)

Thanks,
//Jim