[oi-dev] Desktop Illumos Still Matters

Nick Zivkovic zivkovic.nick at gmail.com
Sat Sep 1 15:42:14 UTC 2012

Yes. I am more interested in contributing drivers and the like. As far
as packages go, to be honest, I've experienced torture at the hands of
IPS (though that could very easily be my fault), and am reluctant go
near it. For example I tried an image-update and it failed. So I am
stuck on OI-147 until I backup-reinstall-import to OI-151a.

I think packages are a high priority, but not as high as making sure
the latest illumos-gate can build and run on a modern desktop. For
example, I can't get SmartOS running on a thinkpad or my desktop
computer. Somewhere in June 2012, a bug was introduced that prevents
the illumos kernel from booting. If I had been building and testing
the latest source, that bug could probably have been caught before it
got buried in a mountain of commits. Now, I image, it is like finding
a needle in a haystack.

I am willing to assist with packages, but my time is limited, and I
think it is more important to direct my effort to building
illumos-gate and writing drivers. Also, making packages is still a
black art to me, and wouldn't know where to start.

But since we are already on the topic of packages, Adam, do you think
there is a way to make it less painful, more consistent? I'm _not_
talking about extreme measures like changing from IPS to
[DEB/RPM/SVR/etc]. I'm wondering if we could 1) make IPS easier to use
by documenting stuff in an easily accessible way [the man pages aren't
very helpful] 2) document every single IPS failure and either fix the
packages or the IPS code (depend on what caused the failure), and 3)
have IPS install all userland libs to a zfs dataset named rpool/ips or
rpool/pkgs; this way, we can zfs-send these datasets, and snap-shot
them, and clone them, without pulling in the rest of the file-system
heirarchy. This would make my bitterness toward IPS reduce
significantly. This way, you can migrate different user-land configs
between systems. Also, an easy way to do updates across a multitude of
systems. One can share their binaries and packages via zfs-send,
because they won't destroy an existing system's /usr /bin and so
forth. Also, OI would benefit tremendously from offering pre-made NG
zones on the web-site, available for downloading and running. In fact,
we could use Zones as a delivery mechanism for things like an Illumos
build-environment. An NG zone can contain a working and sandboxed
version of firefox. Zones are a great technology that can make the
system more attractive amateur power users who may become programmers
some day (like I did). Multiple ways of sharing pre-compiled binaries
can only help OI and Illumos. In fact I can see people sharing
datasets with packages via bit-torrent. Plus, incremental send/recv is
a huge benefit.

We might even be able to integrate a window manager (like i3 or dwm)
so that switching virtual desktop, actually switches to another zone.

What kind of changes to IPS are OI willing to accept? I am willing to
test and improve a lot of code. As I said, I dislike IPS. But I am
willing to help make it better and more usable.

Also, a major problem with IPS is that Sun encouraged people to use it
to _consume_ packages, but they didn't encourage people to _create_
packages. We need a self-fueling ecosystem of packages.

I also think that SmartOS's diskless boot model is great. I think that
booting from disk is great too. Shouldn't OI support both? I'm willing
to contribute to this.

I know these ideas come from SmartOS to some extent, but they are
great ideas that could make OI better! Making a new distribution is
one way to try to make things better. But I think a metamorphosis in
the OI distro will be more effective. I want the many Illumos distros
to be held up as an example of triumphant collaboration, 5 years from
now. But that will happen only if we avoid going down the path of
NIH-inspired suicide.

So, in short I am willing to contribute, to OpenIndiana and Illumos. I
will get OI-151 installed today or tomorrow.

I will try to build illumos-gate, and will report back with any problems.

I would appreciate any pointers on making new packages.

Is it possible to make a new zone without an internet connection?

Where can I find the OI plans for future IPS features and improvements.

 Also, I don't know if this is available in your repos, but if not, I
am going to port and package the i3 window manager for OI, if I have
trouble I'll let you guys know.

I am going to see what I can do about pre-built NG zones.

I will try to find resources about NG zones, making new brands,
modifying existing brands, etc.

Also, I recommend updating the mission statement on the web page. It
is "coming soon", and not very inspiring.

I recommend something along the lines of "making cutting edge
technology available to power users on the desktop..." and then
advertise the technologies. Trust me, it is the power users, not the
simple desktop users that you want. Basically an incubator for future
illumos devs, and a platform for those who like to play with cool tech
they won't get anywhere else.

Thanks.