[oi-dev] is there a vector for donating to OI?

Andrew M. Hettinger AHettinger at Prominic.NET
Thu Sep 6 20:46:54 UTC 2012

I think this is alot of work for no gain. As long as the illumos foundation
is willing to earmark donations for us to use (even if they want to keep a
small amount to cover their expenses for doing so), and is fine with us
handling our governance ourselves I see no reason to go through the trouble
and cost of making a fully separate entity. This is not something that just
happens, there are legal hurtles, mostly to the initial separation, but to
a lesser degree ongoing in setting up to be able to accept donations and
remain in compliance with the law.

The Illumos Foundation has been vary generous to provide us with hosting,
support, and not make any real demands on us in return. I think the best
with regard to this is to continue with our existing symbiotic
relationship.

Andrew Hettinger
http://Prominic.NET  ||  AHettinger at Prominic.NET
Tel:  866.339.3169 (toll free) -or- +1.217.356.2888 x.110 (int'l)
Fax: 866.372.3356 (toll free) -or- +1.217.356.3356            (int'l)