[oi-dev] is there a vector for donating to OI?

garrett.damore at dey-sys.com garrett.damore at dey-sys.com
Fri Sep 7 05:07:03 UTC 2012

On Sep 7, 2012, at 2:59 AM, Ken Gunderson <kgunders at teamcool.net> wrote:

> At Thu, 6 Sep 2012 15:46:54 -0500,
> Andrew M. Hettinger wrote:
>>
>> [1  <multipart/alternative (7bit)>]
>> [1.1  <text/plain; US-ASCII (quoted-printable)>]
>>
>> [1.2  <text/html; US-ASCII (quoted-printable)>]
>
> [...]
>

>> The Illumos Foundation has been vary generous to provide us with hosting, support,
>> and not make any real demands on us in return. I think the best with regard to this
>> is to continue with our existing symbiotic relationship.
>
> If memory serves, EveryCity and OI initially provided hosting for
> Illumos??

OI's bug database lives in illumos'. :-)  But EC hosts OI resources, and originally offered some resources for illumos as well (we don't use them anymore though - we moved that stuff to a common infrastructure at Joyent.)

> Moreover, and I think there are others who would agree (although perhaps not
> publicly), that there have been instances where the relationship was
> less than "symbiotic".  Not to put too fine a point on it.

There have been technical disagreements, and I've pointed out that there has been in the past what I think represents a lack of clear vision for OI.  But that's *my* opinion, and I don't speak for illumos in this regard.  (Nor can I -- or anyone else -- illumos is moving towards a mutual benefit corporation that would preclude a single person dictating the position of illumos.)

However I think OI and illumos have been fairly symbiotic -- indeed OI still builds upon the illumos base, and at the moment OI is the "de-facto" reference distribution of illumos.  However, if OI is considering a different base -- say SchilliX -- then that would probably represent a significant rift.   (I have some concerns about the topics of conversation on oi-dev of late; decisions to for example change the shell or filesystem layout can have broad ramifications.  While a distro can choose to do as it wants, if there is that much difference between the base and the distro, then it will be much harder for the base developers to continue to use the distro as a reference.)

	- Garrett