[oi-dev] is there a vector for donating to OI?

Nick Zivkovic zivkovic.nick at gmail.com
Fri Sep 7 05:18:51 UTC 2012

On Fri, Sep 7, 2012 at 12:07 AM,  <garrett.damore at dey-sys.com> wrote:

> However I think OI and illumos have been fairly symbiotic -- indeed OI still builds upon the illumos base, and at the moment OI is the "de-facto" reference distribution of illumos.  However, if OI is considering a different base -- say SchilliX -- then that would probably represent a significant rift.   (I have some concerns about the topics of conversation on oi-dev of late; decisions to for example change the shell or filesystem layout can have broad ramifications.  While a distro can choose to do as it wants, if there is that much difference between the base and the distro, then it will be much harder for the base developers to continue to use the distro as a reference.)

The filesystem layout change discussion was initiated by me, because
of a perceived inconsistency in the way Illumos stores binaries on
disk. But Alan C has since cleared that up, and I no longer intend to
pursue the idea. Instead I am now focusing my attention on pre-built
(detached) zones, which would offer a true functional separation
between groups of applications.

As for the shell changes, I can't speak to the technical merit of that
option as I haven't looked closely at that code or the problem(s) it
claims to solve.

I don't think anyone is going to rebase the OI distro on Schillix-ON
just yet. If they did, that would create a significant rift not just
between Illumos and OI but a rift within the OI community itself.