[oi-dev] is there a vector for donating to OI?

Joerg Schilling Joerg.Schilling at fokus.fraunhofer.de
Fri Sep 7 19:45:21 UTC 2012

Jim Klimov <jimklimov at cos.ru> wrote:

> As for "shell changes", I believe this may refer to my suggestion
> about hierarchical root filesystem and the presence of a /sbin/sh
> within the root filesystem (not as a link to ../usr/bin/ksh).
> If that is the case, I believe a static compile of ksh may suffice
> for that task (ability to mount and use rootfs while /usr is not
> yet mounted) and would be completely compatible with current distro.

When dynamic linking was introduced with SunOS-4.0 in 1987, people belived that
you can't boot without some static libraries and this may have even been right
- at least as long as there was /etc/ld.so.cache that could be rotten.

Since Solaris 10, we know that there is no such need.

ksh93 on the other side cannot be compiled statically without limiting
functionality as it depends on dlopen().

The cleaner way is to use a proper recent version of the Bourne Shell and to
fix the 6 shell scripts that have been broken by Sun.

Jörg