[oi-dev] is there a vector for donating to OI?

Jim Klimov jimklimov at cos.ru
Fri Sep 7 12:34:01 UTC 2012

2012-09-07 9:07, garrett.damore at dey-sys.com пишет:
> However I think OI and illumos have been fairly symbiotic -- indeed OI still builds upon the illumos base, and at the moment OI is the "de-facto" reference distribution of illumos.  However, if OI is considering a different base -- say SchilliX -- then that would probably represent a significant rift.   (I have some concerns about the topics of conversation on oi-dev of late; decisions to for example change the shell or filesystem layout can have broad ramifications.  While a distro can choose to do as it wants, if there is that much difference between the base and the distro, then it will be much harder for the base developers to continue to use the distro as a reference.)

I do also think that the assumptions about "symbiotic" and "reference
distro" are valid as of now and before now. As long as this remains
in place, I think it would be correct to leave the bureaucratic
burden (and cost) minimized to the required number of entities -
i.e. one in the person of illumos Foundation. Increasing the
inproductive workload is the last thing we need now ;)

As for "shell changes", I believe this may refer to my suggestion
about hierarchical root filesystem and the presence of a /sbin/sh
within the root filesystem (not as a link to ../usr/bin/ksh).
If that is the case, I believe a static compile of ksh may suffice
for that task (ability to mount and use rootfs while /usr is not
yet mounted) and would be completely compatible with current distro.
I did not have such binary at hand, and the one in /usr/bin was
linked to many libraries, so I tried to use bash and this incurred
no errors that I'd have noted and needed no extra workarounds.
I also did try old bourne shell from SXCE, but this did have some
functional downsides with OI (although that binary is IIRC tangibly
more compact on disk and in RAM and just as such serves as a better
system shell; doesn't have to be the every user's interactive one).

HTH,
//Jim Klimov