[oi-dev] is there a vector for donating to OI?

Deirdre Straughan deirdre.straughan at joyent.com
Sun Sep 9 22:54:14 UTC 2012

That doesn't sound too complicated. I should be able to set up a PayPal
account for the Foundation and enable setting categories or at least
putting notes on donations.

The illumos Foundation does have a bank account, so far I'm the only person
with access to it but I expect to add more eg board members. The Foundation
is required by law to provide an annual report and accounting of some sort,
so you'll be able to see that I'm not using the funds to go to Tahiti. ;-)
At the moment, the account contains a grand total of $20 which I had to put
in there to keep it open!

If the illumos Foundation actually gets a significant amount of funding,
it's possible/likely that a full-time exec director would be hired to take
on all this. For the moment, I'm doing it as part of the job that Joyent
pays me to do.

On Sun, Sep 9, 2012 at 2:45 PM, Alasdair Lumsden <alasdairrr at gmail.com>wrote:

> On 06/09/2012 20:27, Ken Gunderson wrote:
>
>> As for Alasdair having resigned as project lead, I would politely ask
>>   if we could prevail upon him to re-don his lead hat for this one last
>>   action.  Why?  In short; I feel he, likely more than anyone, has the
>>   community's trust.
>>

> Hi Ken,
>
> Sure I don't mind providing some input on this...
>
> I think OI is a member of the illumos family and I'd be more than happy
> for the illumos foundation to take donations on our behalf, as long as it's
> earmarked for OI use specifically. If someone wants to donate to OI rather
> than illumos, it makes sense for it to be ringfenced. (Otherwise they'd
> just donate to illumos).
>
> It may be worth illumos setting up some kind of method of taking donations
> via something like PayPal. The illumos website could let people donate to
> illumos, and the OpenIndiana website could let people donate to OpenIndiana
> (but via the same facility), with some way of differentiating between the
> payments so they can be earmarked for illumos-general or OpenIndiana (or
> other projects that live within the illumosphere).
>
> Does that make sense? Or is that too complicated?
>
> I also am happy for it to take a cut of the donations for administrative
> overheads, as long as it's not too excessive. Obviously there is work
> involved in maintaining the foundation.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Alasdair

best regards,