[oi-dev] is there a vector for donating to OI?

Alasdair Lumsden alasdairrr at gmail.com
Sun Sep 9 22:45:32 UTC 2012

On 06/09/2012 20:27, Ken Gunderson wrote:
> As for Alasdair having resigned as project lead, I would politely ask
>   if we could prevail upon him to re-don his lead hat for this one last
>   action.  Why?  In short; I feel he, likely more than anyone, has the
>   community's trust.

Hi Ken,

Sure I don't mind providing some input on this...

I think OI is a member of the illumos family and I'd be more than happy
for the illumos foundation to take donations on our behalf, as long as
it's earmarked for OI use specifically. If someone wants to donate to OI
rather than illumos, it makes sense for it to be ringfenced. (Otherwise
they'd just donate to illumos).

It may be worth illumos setting up some kind of method of taking
donations via something like PayPal. The illumos website could let
people donate to illumos, and the OpenIndiana website could let people
donate to OpenIndiana (but via the same facility), with some way of
differentiating between the payments so they can be earmarked for
illumos-general or OpenIndiana (or other projects that live within the
illumosphere).

Does that make sense? Or is that too complicated?

I also am happy for it to take a cut of the donations for administrative
overheads, as long as it's not too excessive. Obviously there is work
involved in maintaining the foundation.

Cheers,

Alasdair