[oi-dev] Broadcom wireless drivers for OpenIndiana

Jean-Pierre jean-pierre.andre at wanadoo.fr
Thu Apr 25 15:20:08 UTC 2013

Jim Klimov wrote:
> On 2013-04-25 16:07, ken mays wrote:
>> Hi Jean-Pierre,
>>
>> Impressive work and congrats on a successful resolution and NDIS
>> implementation!
>> Can you and Jim please update the bug ticket as well?
>

> I have yet to test it with my card by building the bcmndis driver
> against more different Broadcom distros, and refine the Makefile
> if needed for OI building in one step. Also, this work focused on
> 64-bit drivers, and was not tested (nor really built) with 32-bit.

Most of the issues I had to deal with (non-execution of data,
multimedia registers, etc.) are specific to 64-bit implementation,
and (though not tested), the emulator should be usable in 32-bit
mode when using the former procedure which linked to the driver
at run-time. Actually this would be like using the older
ndis-1.2.6.

I have also developed some code to link at build time to a
32-bit driver, this is integrated in ndis-1.3.0.rc2, but
unfinished (low priority, and probably not much useful).

> I wonder if this should be looked into, and if 32-bit kernel is
> still really used anywhere relevant (laptops, netbooks)?
>
> Finally, I wonder if anyone in the community can help about WPA
> and/or WPA2 implementation - which for NDIS is apparently buried
> in the Windows drivers and not directly integratable with illumos
> WPA (such as Enrico's work)?

To be more precise, the Broadcom drivers come with their full
encryption stack buried into them, with a fairly acceptable
specification from Microsoft for their interface (NDIS5).
I just have to bridge them to OpenIndiana, but I have much
difficulties getting information from the OpenIndiana side.
The entry point to the appropriate interface is described in :
http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E23824_01/html/821-1478/mac-callbacks-9s.html#scrolltoc
but I need details on the mentioned callbacks (particularly
mc_setprop and mc_getprop) : under which conditions they are
called with which arguments to mean what, and what is the
expected reply....

Jean-Pierre