[oi-dev] Broadcom wireless drivers for OpenIndiana

Jim Klimov jim at cos.ru
Thu Apr 25 23:07:30 UTC 2013

I am having a problem with compilation of the driver. I've traced it to the new layout_check() routine which finds discrepancies between actual and expected structure sizes, and fails loading of the driver (better be more verbose about that, too - took me a while to track that "Can't load module: exec format error" error while trying various compiler/linker options).
I'm reading MSDN now, and it seems that the expected offsets are wrong in the routine, but need someone to confitm :)
Points in question:
* Microsoft definition of the IO_STACK_LOCATION structure, i.e.
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/hardware/ff550659(v=vs.85).aspx
typedef struct _IO_STACK_LOCATION {
  UCHAR  MajorFunction;
  UCHAR  MinorFunction;
  UCHAR  Flags;
  UCHAR  Control;
  union {
        struct {
            ULONG  Length;
            ULONG POINTER_ALIGNMENT  Key;
            LARGE_INTEGER  ByteOffset;
        } Read;

ULONG seems to be defined as a 32-bit word, though I can't be certain now.

* ndis driver definition in include/ntoskrnl_var.h (~line 835):
/* See http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/hardware/ff550659(v=vs.85).aspx */
struct io_stack_location {
 uint8_t   isl_major;
 uint8_t   isl_minor;
 uint8_t   isl_flags;
 uint8_t   isl_ctl;
 union {
  struct {
   uint32_t  isl_len;
   /* "POINTER_ALIGNMENT" according to msdn */
   uint32_t  *isl_key;
   uint64_t  isl_byteoff;
  } isl_read;

* validation in if_ndis.c (~line 480):
  || (offsetof(struct io_stack_location,
    isl_parameters.isl_read.isl_len) != 8)
  || (offsetof(struct io_stack_location,
    isl_parameters.isl_read.isl_byteoff) != 24)
  || (offsetof(struct io_stack_location,
    isl_parameters.isl_ioctl.isl_obuflen) != 8)
  || (offsetof(struct io_stack_location,
    isl_parameters.isl_ioctl.isl_ibuflen) != 16)
  || (offsetof(struct io_stack_location,
    isl_parameters.isl_ioctl.isl_iocode) != 24)
  || (offsetof(struct io_stack_location,
    isl_devobj) != 40)
  || (offsetof(struct io_stack_location,
    isl_completionfunc) != 56));

I can't get where the offset 8 for first component in unions comes into play? Before it are only four 1-byte variables, and the offsetof also returns 4...
The header does define padding for amd64 cases, but for later-occurring variables.

So I guess it is a question for Jean-Pierre: where did you derive the numbers in layout_check from? Are they really correct?

//Jim