[oi-dev] Some issues with custom ISO creation using distro_const

Jonghoon Lee winzdream at gmail.com
Tue Jan 29 08:52:20 UTC 2013

Hi,

I am kinda new at distro_const and open-source projects as well.
What I am trying to do is just creating a custom ISO with some pre-modified
system configuration files such as /etc/hosts.allow, etc. However, I am
unfortunately facing with some issues. Actually I was sort of hesitating to
email you since I am using OpenSolaris, not OpenIndiana; the OpenSolaris
hub is not existing anymore, I guess.

Anyway,,,

I am using OpenSolaris 134b version for this work.
I've created a local repository server w/ an address of 192.168.0.130:81.
And the distro_const is running on another machine in the same network.
Both machines have customized OpenSolaris 134b OS which was generated by
someone else with the distro_const utility. The customized snv_134b ISO has
some modifications similar to what's in my own finalizer script,
myStorage.sh. I am not sure if it affects to ISO generation processes, but
please note that I am using a custom ISO based on snv_134b, not the
original snv_134b.

ISO creation processes seem to be fine as shown in the log; you can find
the log at the top portion of the attached manifest file, myStorage_23.xml.
However, I got an issue when I install the OS using the newly generated ISO.

Followings are what I end up with:

- GRUB is fine.
- Language & Keyboard selections are fine also
- Console login prompt appears.
- Then, a mouse pointer looking like a clock appears with black background.
- Then, nothing happens. Just hangs there. It's not moving to the next
desktop screen which has "Install OpenSolaris" icon.
- After pressing power button, the screen says "bootadm: failed to open
file: //platform/i86pc/kernel/unix: No such file or directory" along with
some power-down process messages.

Using all of USB/CD/DVD yield same results.FYI, I've used OsolLiveUSB.exe
(Version 0.03 for Windows) in order to generate bootable USB.

For your reference, I am attaching my own manifest file and the finalizer
script. I hope there's someone who can help me out with this. It's not been
easy for me to find helpful materials in the web for my purposes. If you
need more information, please let me know. Any comment/advice/reference
site/documentation/etc will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

P.S.
When I use a default manifest file without adding my own finalizer script
in the <finalizer> section, ISO creation and OS installation are successful
without any issue. Also, I've tried using the default manifest file with
addition of some packages, but without the finalizer script.
It's still created fine and installed successfully.

--
Truly,

James Lee