[oi-dev] Compiler migration #2

Sašo Kiselkov skiselkov.ml at gmail.com
Sun Jan 27 11:44:03 UTC 2013

On 01/27/2013 08:05 AM, Bayard Bell wrote:
> Folks, what we're talking about here is migrating from Studio to gcc
> on a version we already have. Updating to the latest and greatest GCC
> can happen subsequent to that.
>
> OI needs people who contribute code a lot more than it needs people
> with strong opinions about what someone else should do, so I take Adam
> to be owed code review or coded alternatives more than anything else.
> I, for one, will respond to the CR request within the next few days.

I agree with Bayard here, the difference between using GCC 4.4.4 and 4.7
is largely academic at this point. For practical purposes, the important
thing is to get OI repos to build with *any* relatively recent free
compiler (be it GCC or clang).

All those who wish to split hairs on what minor revision of the compiler
should be used, please contribute packages for the relevant compiler of
your choice before going on to recommend its use.

Talk is cheap, let's see some work.

Cheers,
--
Saso