[oi-dev] Compiler migration #2

Alan Coopersmith alan.coopersmith at oracle.com
Sun Jan 27 16:26:21 UTC 2013

On 01/27/13 07:10 AM, Jim Klimov wrote:
> On 2013-01-26 20:57, Bob Friesenhahn wrote:
>> GCC 4.4 does not produce code for modern CPUs whereas GCC is continually
>> enhanced to be able to produce code which targets modern CPUs.
>
> And in terms of prepackaged generic distribution that works on i386
> and above,

You're not working on one of those.   The OpenSolaris/illumos kernel
has no support for i386, i486 or early Pentiums (I don't remember
exactly where the cutoff for support was in the OpenSolaris code
base at the time of the final release - it's much easier to remember
in Solaris 11 where it's simply "amd64" as the minimum to boot).

uname still reports i386 for backwards compatibility, and because
you can still run i386 binaries, even if you can't boot on an i386
processor.

	-Alan Coopersmith-              alan.coopersmith at oracle.com