[oi-dev] Compiler migration #2

Bob Friesenhahn bfriesen at simple.dallas.tx.us
Sun Jan 27 16:29:57 UTC 2013

On Sun, 27 Jan 2013, Jim Klimov wrote:

> On 2013-01-26 20:57, Bob Friesenhahn wrote:
>> GCC 4.4 does not produce code for modern CPUs whereas GCC is continually
>> enhanced to be able to produce code which targets modern CPUs.
>
> And in terms of prepackaged generic distribution that works on i386
> and above, how can targeting of modern CPUs be a useful bonus and
> not a drawback? This was stressed by Luca's question:

Even when targeting the instruction set for some particular baseline
CPU level, newer GCCs are better at producing code which runs better
on modern CPUs.  The optimizers are better and instruction scheduling
is better.

>From my own testing, GCC 3.x code performance is pretty terrible.  GCC
4.4 is much better.

If one was to start a major effort to port OpenIndiana packages from
Sun Studio to GCC, it makes sense to start with a modern GCC.
Producing a good GCC package is pretty easy, and in fact OpenIndiana
SFE already provides one.

Bob
--
Bob Friesenhahn