[oi-dev] Compiler migration #2

Lou Picciano loupicciano at comcast.net
Sun Jan 27 17:00:04 UTC 2013

Adam,

Tks for your hard work here. Have not yet had an oppty to review specifics, but...

During our last threaten-to-publish-a-repo episode, I'd put some work into these build tools as well. Specifically, was in extensive dialog with the authors to remediate various errors from automake test suites. Believe I put up the submission - on our issues list(?) - which included patches. In addition, in another email/submission to the list, I'd referenced results of these tests - for virtually everything in oi-build at that point.

I think we should be trying to use at least the best parts(?) of our earlier attempts at process in order to ease the way forward - are we using the issues list any more?

Specifically, I'd done a lot of work on patching and packaging automake - these were virtually ready-to-go at that point; may be due a version bump by now. I'd like that work to not be lost now.

I also feel that we should be sticking with Rich Lowe's Illumos-specific bump to gcc; we have to get through the growing pains of figuring out how best to make it all 'hang together'. From there, the version bump to newer gccs should be much easier.

(Glad to see there is a core group of us here still quite interested in OI's future...)

Regards,

Lou Picciano