[oi-dev] Compiler migration #2

Luca De Pandis lucadepandis at gmail.com
Sat Jan 26 20:26:14 UTC 2013

I think it would be better to use, for now, a specific version of GCC for
Illumos development (4.4.4) and a later version of that for userland tools and
other stuff.

Basically, it's the same concept that Illumos and OI have now: GCC 4.4.4 for
the kernel and GCC 3.x for the rest.
But, instead of use a very very obsolete and (in most cases) useless version
(some applications need a recent version of the compiler, i.e. aMule, GNUstep
etc.), we could use one of the latest releases.

Solaris 11 ships with GCC 4.5 compiler/runtime in their publisher.
So, i think it's time to going forward also for Illumos and related
distributions.

Maintaining an obsolete version of the compiler is not a good thing.

Best regards,
Luca De Pandis