[oi-dev] Compiler migration #2

Sašo Kiselkov skiselkov.ml at gmail.com
Sun Jan 27 20:05:27 UTC 2013

On 01/27/2013 02:57 PM, Luca De Pandis wrote:
>> For practical purposes, the important
>> thing is to get OI repos to build with *any* relatively recent free
>> compiler (be it GCC or clang).
> From GCC website:
> 3.4.3 November 4, 2004 ---> (~8 years and 9 months ago)
>
> It's not relatively recent. It's paleolithic, man.

I mean no offense Luca, but you really need to read what I wrote, not
what you *think* I wrote:

"I agree with Bayard here, the difference between using GCC 4.4.4 and
4.7 is largely academic at this point. For practical purposes, the
important thing is to get OI repos to build with *any* relatively recent
free compiler (be it GCC or clang)."

So I wasn't talking about GCC 3.4.3.

> The only possible workarounds are build a recent gcc version yourself or use
> SFEgcc package, but the last option is not a viable alternative if your CPU is
> not SSE2-capable.

SSE2 was introduced in 2001 and almost every CPU sold since 2003
includes them. We're talking 10+ years old CPUs. FFS, could we please
move on?

> So, not every users are able to use that compiler/runtime.

We're talking about hardware that is seriously stone-age.

> The questions that i asked are:
> 1) Since OI has two default compilers (one for illumos development and one for
> the rest), are there technical reasons that push back oi devs to upgrade gcc?
> 2) Would not it be better for all of us release OI with two compilers, one for
> Illumos development (4.4.4) and one for the rest (latest release)?

Where are your webrevs for the new versions of GCC? Seriously people,
you need to stop bickering and start contributing. I have no problem
with using a newer GCC for userland - whatever, I'm do Illumos
development anyway, so this discussion affects me only marginally. I'm
just getting tired of the endless stream of armchair experts who will
nonetheless sit with their arms folded waiting for somebody else to
implement their brilliant ideas.

Cheers,
--
Saso