[oi-dev] Release engineering // planing

Udo Grabowski (IMK) udo.grabowski at kit.edu
Thu Jul 11 18:08:47 UTC 2013

On 11/07/2013 18:53, Alasdair Lumsden wrote:
> I do think that /dev should get moved to /release, and /hipster should go to
> /dev. Not many know about hipster beyond the oi-dev list. It would show people
> in the outside world that progress is being made on OI.A

But at that point, there should be provided a way to switch
current people on /dev to /release, surely most do not want
to be exposed to hipster...
And that seems not to be trivial, probably it needs a bump
to a new release number.
Personally I think this switch should be done now on the
base of a7 (sunstudio compiled, with maybe a few couple of
known stable fixes), as hipster is currently going sidewards
with all the changes to gcc, it will probably not stabilize
within the next two months, and a7 is mostly rock stable
(with a few user visible problems due to the png12 <--> png14
hassles).