[oi-dev] Release engineering // planing

Jonathan Adams t12nslookup at gmail.com
Thu Jul 11 20:06:06 UTC 2013

I still believe that a 3 repository system would be best, a release/stable
which will start with a7, a dev which will have the bits from bleeding that
check out with enough LGTM's and a bleeding edge which is closer to a "wild
frontier" where almost anything goes.

give the keys to stable to someone who will guard it well, and trusts nobody
let dev be the place where good/stable _looking_ code goes
leave the gate wide open and trust that the build errors will be fixed some
time in bleeding edge.

the great trouble with the LGTM system is that you cannot easily prove that
something is stable until it has been tested by a lot of users, having a
well used dev allows for this.

a separate dev where anything goes however allows development to happen at
a much greater pace for initial testing, without disturbing the long term
future "stable"s.

Just my 2 cents.

Jon